December 5, 2011 - Tokyo Electric Power Company announces that at least 45 metric tons of radioactive water have leaked from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear facility, and may have reached the Pacific Ocean.
December 16, 2011 - Japan's Prime Minister says that a "cold shutdown" has been achieved at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, a symbolic milestone that means the plant's crippled reactors have stayed at temperatures below the boiling point for some time.
December 26, 2011 - Investigators report that poorly trained operators at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant misread a key backup system and waited too long to start pumping water into the units, according to an interim report from the government committee probing the nuclear accident.
February 27, 2012 - Rebuild Japan Initiative Foundation, an independent fact-finding committee, releases a report claiming that the Japanese government feared the nuclear disaster could lead to an evacuation of Tokyo while at the same time hiding its most alarming assessments of the nuclear disaster from the public as well as the United States.
May 24, 2012 - TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Power Co.) estimates about 900,000 terabecquerels of radioactive materials were released between March 12 and March 31 in 2011, more radiation than previously estimated.
June 11, 2012 - 1,324 Fukushima residents lodge a criminal complaint with the Fukushima prosecutor's office, naming Tsunehisa Katsumata, the chairman of Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) and 32 others responsible for causing the nuclear disaster that followed the March 11 earthquake and tsunami and exposing the people of Fukushima to radiation.
June 16, 2012 - Despite public objections, the Japanese government approves restarting two nuclear reactors at the Kansai Electric Power Company in Ohi in Fukui prefecture, the first reactors scheduled to resume since all nuclear reactors were shut down in May 2012.
July 1, 2012 - Kansai Electric Power Co. Ltd. (KEPCO) restarts the Ohi nuclear plant's No. 3 reactor, resuming nuclear power production in Japan for the first time in the wake of the Fukushima Daiichi meltdown following the tsunami.
July 5, 2012 - The Fukushima Nuclear Accident Independent Investigation Commission's report finds that the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear crisis was a "man-made disaster" that unfolded as a result of collusion between the facility's operator, regulators and the government. The report also attributes the failings at the plant before and after March 11 specifically to Japanese culture. http://warp.da.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/3856371/naiic.go.jp/en/
July 23, 2012 - A Japanese government report is released criticizing TEPCO. The report says that the measures taken by TEPCO to prepare for disasters were "insufficient," and the response to the crisis "inadequate."
October 12, 2012 - TEPCO acknowledges in a report that it played down safety risks at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant out of fear that additional measures would lead to a plant shutdown and further fuel public anxiety and anti-nuclear movements.
Japan Tsunami Debris: The Japanese government estimates that the tsunami swept about five million tons of debris offshore, but that 70 percent sank, leaving 1.5 million tons floating in the Pacific Ocean.
The debris is most likely not radioactive. It is no longer in a "debris field," but scattered across a large area of the North Pacific.