One killed in carbon monoxide poisoning
Colorado Springs apartments ecacuated
The Colorado Springs fire department said one person has died and another is in critical condition after a carbon monoxide poisoning at the Vista Peak apartments in Colorado Springs.
Firefighters responded to the 1200 block of Potter Drive at about 12 p.m. Sunday after a carbon monoxide detector went off.
Officials said when they arrived they found high levels of carbon monoxide in the apartment building, so they evacuated the building and checked other apartments in the complex. Fire officials said they found two men unresponsive in one apartment. Both men were taken to the hospital where one was later pronounced dead, officials said. The second man injured is in critical condition according to the Colorado Springs Fire Department.
A hazmat team was called in to investigate.
Officials said this is the time of year to make sure your carbon monoxide detectors are working. The fire department said carbon monoxide dangers increase as temperatures dropping and people turning their heat on.
Carbon monoxide cannot be smelt. Officials say symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches and flu-like symptoms.
Copyright 2012 KRDO. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.