Two kids playing with gun powder caused an explosion Thursday morning in a Pueblo West neighborhood.
Authorities tell KRDO Newschannel 13 the incident happened in the 1300 block of Caida del Sol Dr. around 7:00 a.m.
The Pueblo County Sheriff's Office says that two boys, ages 6 and 7, put gunpowder into a barbeque grill and lit it. When doing so, the powder exploded, injuring both boys. They were both treated at Parkview Medical Center for non-life-threatening injuries. They were later transported to Denver Children's Hospital.
The family was home at the time of the incident and the Sheriff's Office says the gunpowder had been secured properly in ammunition cans in a safe location. It is unknown how the boys found the gunpowder.
Pueblo County Sheriff's Office says that this should serve as a reminder to parents to keep ammunition and gun powder out of reach of children.