FOUNTAIN, Colo. - People woke up to screams for help in Fountain Wednesday morning. A fire and heavy smoke trapped three people inside of an apartment complex.
They were rescued by Fountain firefighters and treated for smoke inhalation. It all started because of a heating pad.
"I kept hearing 'help me, help me.' I said, somebody is screaming for help so I came in here got the phone, called the police department," said Shirley Archuleta, who was saved from the fire.
"The whole thing was in flames. It was pretty crazy," said Alanea Vandivner, a neighbor who rushed outside to help.
Three people were trapped inside Fountain View Apartments.
If the Fountain Fire Station wasn't just around the corner, it could have ended much differently.
"We had firefighter start rescuing people and another crew go and start knocking the fire down. Had this been in a different location in the city where we don't have fire stations, the outcome could have been much worse," said Fountain Fire Chief, Darin Anstine.
During the rescue the ceiling collapsed on a fire fighter. He was quickly pulled out and is doing okay.
The apartment is a total loss. The fire department says it started from a heating pad.
"I'm really surprised it was a heating pad. I can't even believe a heating pad would do that. I mean I was ready to pack up and just go in my car, I was that scared. I thought it was going to fly right across into mine," said Vandivner.
"All the smoke was like...oh my gosh, I couldn't breathe," said Archuleta.
Although Shirley is a little shook up, and has some cleaning to do, her neighbor wasn't so lucky.
"I just hope she is okay and if she needs anything I'm pretty sure everybody will look out for her," said Walter Elijah Moore, another neighbor.
Red Cross arrived after the fire and is working with the woman on finding her a place to stay.