Cigarette blamed for Colorado Springs grass fire
Acre burned near Powers Blvd. & Woodmen Rd.
Colorado Springs firefighters quickly responded to a grass fire Tuesday afternoon.
Firefighters said an acre on a hillside burned around 2:30 p.m. on the northbound entrance ramp of Powers Boulevard near Woodmen Road.
Several crews arrived to douse the flames. The bottom of the hillside is littered with cigarette butts, and firefighters believe a spark from one possibly thrown from a passing vehicle ignited the fire.
"Had the fire moved up this hill and there was a house there, that could have been a structure fire," said Lt. Mark Trudell of the city Fire Department. "Now, more than ever, this is how dangerous it is to carelessly toss a lighted cigarette butt."
Trudell said firefighters have responded to many reported fires but usually put them out before they become serious.
Copyright 2013 KRDO. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.