News

Colorado Springs house fire started by heat lamp in neighbor's chicken coop

Structure fire off Stockwell Drive

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - A raging house fire that broke out in northeast Colorado Springs on the same day as the Carson Midway fire earlier this month was started when a heat lamp in a neighbor's chicken coop fell into flammable hay.

It happened on March 16 in the 6700 block of Stockwell Drive (MAP), and firefighters found the back of a home engulfed in flames.

According to a news release sent Thursday by the Colorado Springs Fire Department, a clamp on the heat lamp at the neighbor's house failed, causing it to fall into hay and chicken excrement. That ignited, and then spread to a fence between the two properties. The wind then carried the fire to the burned house, where it climbed up to the attic.

No one was injured in the fire.

The family at the burned home is staying elsewhere until the home is safe, CSFD said. It's not clear if the other property owner will be held liable for the fire.


comments powered by Disqus

Must See Videos

  • WATCH: UCCS professor weighs in on President Trump canceling summit with North Korea
  • Pueblo judge considers murder trial for boyfriend of missing woman
  • New scam targeting elderly women in Pueblo
  • VA healthcare facing changes if bill passes
  • Changing of the guard at NORAD and Northern Command