COLORADO SPRINGS - Residents at the Copper Stones Apartment Homes were in for a surprise after illegal fireworks set the roof of their complex on fire.
Firefighters were called out just after 10 p.m. to a structure fire at the apartment complex on Circle Drive on Sunday.
The fire, which was caused by illegal fireworks, initially set a nearby bush on fire, but the fire quickly spread to the wood-shake roof before residents could stop the spread.
Luckily, fast response by both residents and firefighters limited the damage to just the roof, and no injuries were reported.
Police are currently investigating the fire and taking witness notes from the residents of the apartment complex.