COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -

Firefighters fought flames at a Colorado Springs apartment building early Thursday morning as neighbors watched and waited to get back inside.

Firefighters received a call at 4:01 a.m. about a fire in the 1600 block of North Murray Boulevard. The firefighters found the fire in one apartment in the Cypress Village Apartment homes.

Firefighters had the fire under control by 4:32 a.m. No firefighters or residents were injured in the fire.

Cole Ubert woke up to firefighters banging on his door. The apartment next to his was on fire.

"I come out in the hall and I can't even barely see in front of me it was so smoky out," said Ubert. "I didn't know what to think.  I was pretty jumpy. It scared me pretty good."

Ubert said the man who lives in the apartment was not home when the fire broke out. Ubert did not know what might have sparked the fire.

Ubert was standing near other neighbors also waiting to get back inside. The fire department only evacuated residents living near the apartment that was on fire. Other neighbors chose to wait outside because of the heavy smoke in the building.

Investigators interviewed neighbors as they waited in a parking lot nearby. Investigators have not yet determined what started the fire.