Fire burns Xcel power plant's conveyor belt system
Firefighters say a blaze on a conveyor belt system at Xcel Energy's coal-fired Comanche power plant caused an estimated $1 million in damage.
The Pueblo Fire Department says the fire early Saturday happened on a conveyor belt system that is about 180 feet above ground. It moves coal from trains to storage areas.
The department says that according to initial reports, a subcontractor was doing welding work on the conveyor system when sparks ignited the conveyor belts, which had coal and coal residue on them. Burning pieces of conveyor belt fell into a stack of coal that also caught fire.
The department on Monday estimated the damage at $1 million.
No injuries were reported.
The fire department says Xcel can still generate electricity while it makes repairs.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.