The Bureau of Land Management and Fremont County have enacted stage 2 fire restrictions.
The increased restrictions affect BLM lands in the following counties: Baca, Bent, Chaffee, Crowley, Custer, El Paso, Fremont, Huerfano, Jefferson, Kiowa, Lake, Las Animas, Otero, Park, Prowers, Pueblo and Teller.
Under Stage II restrictions, the following activities are not allowed:
- Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, any type of charcoal fueled broiler or open fire of any type.
- Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building.
- Operating or using any internal combustion engine without a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained and in effective working order.
- Welding, or operating an acetylene or other type of torch that produces an open flame capable of igniting flammable material.
- Operating a chainsaw without an approved spark arrestor, and without a chemical-pressurized fire extinguisher and a round-point shovel with an overall length of at least 36 inches readily available.
The following is allowed:
- Using cooking stoves and other appliances fueled by liquid petroleum or bottled fuels that are equipped with an on-off valve for the flame.
Fireworks are not allowed at any time on any public lands managed by the BLM, U.S. Forest Service or the National Park Service.
For more information about fire restrictions on other lands in your area, please contact the Sheriff's Office for the county in which you live.