One person was treated for smoke inhalation after a mobile home fire in southeast Colorado Springs Wednesday morning (1/22/14).
The fire happened at a home in the 4800 block of Astrozon Blvd. It was reported at 5:53 a.m.
Firefighters say one person was inside the house when the fire started. That person was able to get out, but suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to the hospital.
Two people were displaced by the fire. Investigators say a cigarette that was carelessly discarded caused it.
The Colorado Springs Fire Department says smoking is the number one cause of home fire deaths in the United States and offers the following safety information:
• If you or someone in your family smokes, Put it out. All the way. Every time.
• Smoking fires are especially dangerous since the victims are closer to the source of the fire, thus they are harder to save.
• Most smoking fires start on beds, furniture, or in trash. Many smoking related fire deaths are caused by the victim falling asleep while smoking.
• According to the USFA, 25% of people killed in smoking related fires are not the actual smokers themselves; 34% of these victims were the children of the smokers; and 25% were neighbors or friends of the smokers.
These fires can be prevented by taking a few simple measures such as:
• Using ashtrays with a wide and stable base. If it wobbles, it won't work.
• If you do smoke, smoke outside but NEVER put your cigarette out in dried flower pots or shrubs.
• Put out cigarettes in an ashtray or can filled with sand.
• Check for cigarette butts under sofa cushions and on and behind furniture.
• Never smoke in a home where oxygen is used.
• Use fire-safe cigarettes that are less likely to cause fires.
• Make sure your cigarette is fully out, especially if you are drowsy due to medicine or alcohol.
• The most important thing to remember is to make sure the cigarette is fully extinguished.
• Run ashes and butts under water before throwing them away.