Colorado Springs firefighters have put out a fire at a home near downtown.
It started just before 4:30 Monday (7/7/14) morning at the home in the 600 block of E. Boulder Street. That's near Boulder and N. Wahsatch Ave. The home is split up into three apartments.
Boulder Street from N. El Paso Street to N. Weber Street is now open.
Firefighters say the fire was in a wall and contained to the top floor.
Firefighters said five adults and one child escaped. No one was hurt. The residents of the home are temporarily displaced.
Firefighters say one of the people woke up because they smelled smoke and then called 911.
Firefighters tell us the smoke detectors did not go off because the fire appears to have started outside of the home.
A carelessly discarded cigarette or cigar is believed to have caused the fire.