COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -

A break in a natural gas line Thursday kept people away from their homes for six hours.

Sunny Smaldino of the Colorado Springs Fire Department said a construction worker accidentally cut a two-inch gas line around 10 a.m. at the intersection of Oak Meadow and Pinedale drives. 

Eight families evacuated as a precaution, she said, although some homeowners already were at work and were contacted about the situation.

Smaldino said the break happened near a T-shaped juncture in the gas line, which meant that repair crews had to seal the line in four places instead of two.  She said it was unclear if there were markers in place to alert the worker to the presence of a gas line.

The intersection reopened just before 4 p.m.