Halloween can have more tricks than treats, especially for pets

Rachael Plath, Good Morning Colorado Meteorologist/Reporter, r.plath@krdo.com
POSTED: 06:56 PM MDT Oct 31, 2013 

With an abundance of Halloween candy comes an abundance of potential problems for pets.

Chocolate is at the top of the list of toxic candies for pets.  It is because of the presence of theobromine in the chocolate, which can cause vomiting, bloating and diarrhea.

According to Dr. Megan Pansiera with North Academy Veterinary Hospital, the darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is.

"You could eat a bag of chocolate and be really sick, but if it's milk chocolate or white chocolate, then you're not really in that big of trouble," said Pansiera.

Sugar-free candies can also be dangerous because of the presence of xylitol, which can cause liver damage in pets. 

Candy wrappers can also cause damage to the intestines of pets.  If a pet is suspected to have gotten into the candy, call the vet immediately.

Pet owners should also consider putting animals in a separate room, as the constant visitors on Halloween can cause anxiety in dogs.

Costumes can also cause a concern, so be sure to monitor your animal closely if they will be dressing up this year.

"Costumes on dogs are very cute, but if your dog eats his costume, you could be looking at a very pricey surgery," said Pansiera.

For more tips on keeping your pet safe, click here.