FORT COLLINS, Colo. - Health officials in northern Colorado say a second person has become sick with tularemia, which is also known as "rabbit fever."
Larimer and Weld County officials in a statement Tuesday said a Larimer County resident became sick with the bacterial infection while mowing a property near Windsor. Symptoms include fever, sore throat and swollen glands and can be fatal if untreated.
Tularemia is often transmitted by people handling infected rabbits, hares, beavers, and muskrats. It can also remain in animal feces and urine for up to a month.
County health officials said the first human case was reported July 16 in Broomfield where numerous dead rabbits were found.
Health officials said a rabbit die off in Fort Collins last month and in Jefferson County this month was caused by tularemia.