COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, is reported to be the busiest shopping day of the year. Retailers offer their best prices and deepest discounts on this day.
The Colorado Springs Police Department anticipates an increase in vehicle and pedestrian traffic on Black Friday and throughout the Holiday Season. Officers would like to remind you to drive with extra caution during this time. Younger pedestrians often believe that if they can see a driver; the driver can see them. Unfortunately, this is not always true.
Young children are especially vulnerable because they are difficult to see when you're backing out of a parking space. Remember to look behind you and reverse slowly to avoid hitting a child.
Weather has a major impact on driving as the sun can be blinding and roads can be slippery when wet - so adjust your speed.
In addition to traffic safety, officers encourage you to be extra vigilant as thieves prey on unsuspecting victims.
- Remember to park in well-lighted areas and remove all valuable items from your vehicle to include: cell phones, computers, garage door openers, CD's etc. Lock your doors.
- Have your keys in hand as you walk to your vehicle and scan the interior to be sure no one is hiding inside.
- Do not talk on your phone as you're walking to your vehicle.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. Be skeptical of people approaching you. They will try different methods to distract you.
- If you see someone/something suspicious, report it!
If you have information about a crime, please call police at 719-444-7000. If you would like to remain anonymous you can call Crime-stoppers at 719-634-STOP (7867) or you can simply text CSPD and your tip to 847411 (TIP411).