Local News

Child blamed for Colorado Springs house fire

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Fire investigators say a house fire on E. Uintah Street Wednesday (12/18/13) was caused by a child.

Two women were treated for smoke inhalation following the fire at a home in the 1900 block of E. Uintah Street. Five people were displaced and damage is estimated at $286,246.00. 

The fire started in the master bedroom. In a news release, the fire department said the cause of the fire was quote" misuse of fire by a child."

Firefighters say they want to remind the community to keep matches, lighters and other ignition sources out of reach from children, preferably in a locked cabinet or lock box. They say situations like this usually happen when children are left alone, even for a short period of time, and have access to matches and lighters.

For more information on prevention and intervention of youth misuse of fire, contact The Colorado Springs Fire Department's FireFactor Program at: (719) 385-7366.


comments powered by Disqus

Must See Videos

  • Tonight at 10: Inside the Thunderbirds Airshow
  • 2 dead in Highway 24 crash near Peyton
  • WATCH: Abby's Early Tuesday Forecast
  • Slap Me Some Skin