Local News

Dangerous consequences from 'cinnamon challenge'

Online dare comes with big warning

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Someone could be raiding your spice rack for a very weird reason.  It's an online dare, but it comes with a big warning.

This dangerous fad is called the 'cinnamon challenge' and is showing up in hundreds of YouTube videos.  The dare is to swallow a spoonful of cinnamon and keep it down for a minute.

Brittany Bremer of Colorado Springs posted a video of herself suffering afterwards.  She tells KRDO her throat swelled so much she need to go to the E.R..  Bremer says the doctors treated her with steroids.

Emily Orwig of Colorado Springs also admits to trying the dare with her friends more than once.  "It starts to burn really bad, it sticks your whole mouth together and you end up spitting it out," she described.

While Emily and her friends were alright, there are serious health hazards.  On Monday, Pediatrics Online issued a warning saying at least 30 teens nationwide needed medical attention after attempting the feat.

"In that moment when you spit that out, you can also inhale.  You run the risk of inhaling this very fine powder down into your airways," said Dr. Dave Nigh.  Nigh says a severe cough could cause a person's lung to collapse or put a hole in their airway.

comments powered by Disqus

Must See Videos

  • Matt's Friday Evening Forecast 5/26/17
  • Pueblo houses one of the largest public archives in U.S.
  • Air Academy vs. Valor Christian
  • Preps begin for Territory Days in Old Colorado City