COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Families were displaced after a fire at the Shannon Glen Apartments Monday night.
Firefighters were called to the apartment complex at about 9:30 p.m. Monday. They arrived to find heavy smoke and flames coming from the third floor of the complex.
Dozens of apartment residents were evacuated. At least one person had to be rescued from the third floor. Two people were taken to a hospital because of smoke exposure.
People living in 12 units were displaced because of the fire. The Red Cross met with people displaced by the flames Monday night to help them find places to stay.
Residents said the tenant living in the apartment had previously been evicted and the locks were broken. However, an apartment manager confirmed with Colorado Springs Fire Department that the tenant had not been evicted.
Investigators also responded to the fire. They have not yet determined how the fire started.