Local News

Fire shuts down elementary school for rest of week

Fire Clean Up Continues At Elementary School

Students at Evans Elementary School will be out of school for the rest of the week.  Crews are busy cleaning up from a fire Tuesday inside the boy's bathroom.

The cost of repairs is about $300,000.  Insurance is paying.  School district officials say the smoke caused the most damage. 

The school is located in Falcon District 49.

The El Paso County Sheriff's Office said this is an arson investigation and that a student is the suspect.

School Principal Dustin Horras says the student will face disciplinary action.

The students were evacuated on Tuesday morning and taken to the field house at Sand Creek High School.  Then, they were released to their parents and guardians.

No one was hurt.

School officials expect cleanup to take until Saturday morning.  Then, they will test the air quality to make sure it is safe for students to return to school on Monday.

Transitional Colorado Assessment Program testing was underway. There's one fifth grade science and two third grade math sessions remaining, as well as several makeup tests. All students will be given an opportunity to complete the testing, according to a District 49 news release.

comments powered by Disqus

Must See Videos

  • Marty's Sunday Morning Forecast - 5/28/17
  • CDOT responds to safety complaints along U.S. 24
  • Marty's Saturday Morning Forecast - 5/27/17
  • Matt's Friday Evening Forecast 5/26/17