Local News

Fire sparks panic in Black Forest

Fire sparks panic in Black Forest

BLACK FOREST, Colo. - With memories of the Black Forest Fire less than a year old, panic spread as quickly as the smoke from a house fire in the 11500 block of Milam Road.

"It reminded me of the Black Forest wildfire," said Larry DiFrancesco, who rushed to the scene as soon as he saw smoke.

Next door, Amanda Oliver says she panicked when she realized it wasn't dust blowing outside her back door.

"I have three kids at home so I just gathered them, shoved them in the car and never looked back," Oliver said.  "I remembered all the people who said they barely got out which made me think I'm not even going to wait around, I'm going to get the kids."

Six different fire departments responded to the fire, including the Black Forest Fire Department.  Crews contained the fire to the home, stopping it from spreading to the nearby trees.

"It looks like the fire started when the homeowner placed hot ashes in a metal container then placed the metal container next to dry bushes," said Kathy Russell, the public information officer for the Black Forest Fire Department.

No injuries were reported to the two residents officials say were in the home at the time of the fire.  Firefighters say the home is a total loss.

comments powered by Disqus

Must See Videos

  • Matt's Friday Evening Forecast 5/26/17
  • Pueblo houses one of the largest public archives in U.S.
  • Air Academy vs. Valor Christian
  • Preps begin for Territory Days in Old Colorado City