EL PASO COUNTY, Colo. - A fire at a home in eastern El Paso County produced a smoke plume that was visible for miles Thursday (2/6/14).
The fire started in a mobile home in the 17300 block of Jones Road. It was reported at 10:40 a.m.
Firefighters said the home and a garage were fully engulfed in flames when they arrived. There are reports that oxygen tanks were inside the home and that some were heard "popping."
Falcon firefighters said the fire started when the homeowner was working on his water heater.
The cold was an obstacle for firefighters.
"Well it is dangerous for firefighters because the ice conditions that the water creates. We are battling frozen lines and other conditions. It seems like we are battling fires on the coldest days of the year," Falcon Fire Chief Trent Hardwig said.
Shaunna Hoist said the family who lost their home has always been willing to help others.
"Last February, we had a blizzard and people were getting stuck in the road. The snow was piling up. He brought a Bobcat to clear the snow and pull people out," she said.
Firefighters from Falcon, Peyton, Black Forest, Donald Wescott and Ellicott battled the flames.
No injuries have been reported.