Local News

Investigators blame smoking while cleaning with lacquer thinner for fire

FOUNTAIN, Colo. - The fire department says one person was burned and a home was badly damaged in a weekend fire.

Firefighters were dispatched to the home at 6670 S. Highway 85/87 at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, February 8, 2014.

Smoke and flames were coming from several windows when firefighters arrived at the home five minutes after they received the call.

One person was treated for burns and smoke inhalation at the scene. No one else was hurt.

Fire investigators say the fire started when someone was smoking while using lacquer thinner to clean a bathroom floor. The lacquer thinner, which is extremely flammable according to firefighters, was ignited by the cigarette.

The fire department says smoke and fire damage are extensive throughout the house and that it is not safe to live there.

The Red Cross was called to help the displaced family.

comments powered by Disqus

Must See Videos

  • ONLY ON 13: Touring B-17 makes memories for Colorado Springs family
  • Marty's Sunday Morning Forecast - 5/28/17
  • CDOT responds to safety complaints along U.S. 24
  • Marty's Saturday Morning Forecast - 5/27/17