LONGMONT, Colo. - Longmont police are investigating how a 2-year-old girl ended up with a marijuana ingredient in her system.
Police Cmdr. Jeff Satur says he child's mother took her to Longmont United Hospital on Tuesday because the child had become lethargic.
According to the Longmont Times-Call, a toxicology test was performed and her urine tested positive for THC, the active ingredient in marijuana.
The girl's mother says she does not use drugs. She told police she found the girl eating a cookie that she had reportedly found outside the family's apartment.
Recreational pot for adults over 21 has been legal in Colorado for more than a year, but retail sales of the drug were not allowed until Wednesday. Colorado voters legalized medical marijuana in 2000.