HUERFANO COUNTY, Colo. - Colorado Parks and Wildlife has released the name of a man who drowned at a lake in Huerfano County.
Charles Alan Chacon III, 24, of Denver, drowned at Lathrop State Park on Friday, June 13, 2014. His body was found two days later.
Colorado Parks and Wildlife offers the public the following safety tips when recreating around natural bodies of water such as lakes and reservoirs.
- Only swim in designated areas.
- Always swim with a friend.
- Know before you go. Don't swim if you don't know if it's safe.
- Young children or inexperienced swimmers should always wear a life jacket.
- Don't dive into open water. It is difficult to estimate water depth and to see hidden objects underneath the surface. Head, neck and back injuries can occur from hitting the bottom or striking an object in the water.
- Avoid alcohol use. Alcohol impairs judgment, balance and coordination, reduces the body's ability to stay warm and affects swimming and boat operation skills.