Local News

Neighbors being careful after house explosion

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Neighbors who live around Chaparral Road are taking extra precaution after a natural gas leak led to a house explosion.

Colorado Springs Fire Capt. Dave Vitchmar battled the explosion.

"The amount of pressure that built up, to blow that much material out was pretty impressive," Vitchmar said.

He said natural gas is easy to detect because utilities add in a rotten egg smell, but to make sure gas leaks don't happen to you, he suggests to have gas appliances checked once a year.

Which is advice Wanda Grosche is following. 

"I guess we better all get busy and get our (gas) lines checked," she said.

Neighbors say the people who lived in the exploding house are now out of the hospital and living with friends, and had another house that was burned down by the Black Forest fire.

People in the area are trying to raise money for the couple by having a block party.

comments powered by Disqus

Must See Videos

  • Matt's Friday Evening Forecast 5/26/17
  • Pueblo houses one of the largest public archives in U.S.
  • Air Academy vs. Valor Christian
  • Preps begin for Territory Days in Old Colorado City