COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Colorado Springs and Pueblo rank 5th in the nation for the highest credit card balances. It's according to a study done by a leading website that helps consumers manage their money.
According to Manilla people who live in these two Southern Colorado cities have an average credit card balance of $2,100.
On top of that, they pile on mortgage payments, car payments and student loans.
"That's how people get in trouble," said financial planner Jane Young.
Young also write the blog, Your Money and Your Life.
Young said it's easy to spend more than you realize and rack up credit card debt. "The best thing you can do for yourself is understand your situation and live within your means," she said.
If you are an impulse shopper, Young suggests putting yourself on a cash budget and only use your credit cards for emergencies.
"Take your credit card and put it in a bowl in the freezer," said Young. That way she said if you want to use it, you will think twice.
If you are trying to pay off debt, Young said pay off credit cards with the highest interest rate first. Then she said start saving. Young suggests putting aside enough money to pay your bills for three months.
From Manilla: The following averages were among active Manilla.com accounts as of December 31, 2012, providing a snapshot of how residents across the nation ended the year.:
Average credit card account balances:
1. Pensacola, Florida $3,252.83
2. Charleston, South Carolina $2,314.68
3. Denver, Colorado $2,226.91
4. San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose, California $2,219.24
5. Colorado Springs/Pueblo, Colorado $2,163.98
6. Seattle-Tacoma, Washington $2,154.56
7. Anchorage, Alaska $2,140.77
8. Richmond-Petersburg, Virginia $2,116.80
9. Washington DC $2,113.12
10. Baton Rouge, Louisiana $2,097.32
Colorado Springs-Pueblo, Colorado:
* Average Mortgage Balance: $159,236
* Average Student Loan Balance: 16,877
* Average Auto Loan Balance: $11,692