Neighbors back home hours after fire

Emily Allen, Multimedia Journalist /Target 13 Investigator , emily.allen@krdo.com
POSTED: 12:37 PM MST Dec 24, 2013    UPDATED: 12:59 PM MST Nov 04, 2013 
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -

Neighbors were allowed back in their homes hours after flames drove them out of a Colorado Springs apartment building.

The fire broke out just after 10 a.m. Sunday at an apartment building at 319 University Drive.

Colorado Springs firefighters noticed the fire on their way back from responding to a different call. They initially thought the fire started in one of the apartments, but shortly after they realized the fire started in the building's laundry room.

"Dryer fires at apartment complexes are very common because people won't keep the maintenance up on them or over loading them," said Billapando.

Investigators were still working to determine what started the fire. Lt. Stacy Billapando said the fire looked suspicious.

Scott Kahle waited for hours near the apartment building to get information about the status of his home.

"I saw a lot of smoke and it was very dark so I knew it was intense," said Kahle.

Craig Kelly lives in one of the apartments near the laundry room. He already knows what its like to lose his home.

Kelly moved to Colorado Springs eight years ago shortly after Hurricane Katrina.  The deadly storm took everything, except the clothes on his back. He's made a new life in Colorado thanks to friends and neighbors.

Kelly was able to go back home after the fire.

No one was injured in the fire.