April 2013 -- Hackers from the Syrian Electronic Army took over the Associated Press Twitter account and posted "Breaking: Two Explosions in the White House and Barack Obama is injured." It was one of the most high-profile Twitter hacks to date and had far-reaching ramifications. The Dow Jones Industrial Average plummeted dramatically before rebounding when the hoax was exposed.
23 key moments from Twitter history
Political downfalls, tweets from space among the highlights
POSTED: 04:05 PM MDT Sep 13, 2013 UPDATED: 04:49 PM MDT Sep 16, 2013
Copyright 2013 by CNN NewSource. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Snowden docs had NYT exec fearing for his life
- Reddit to the rescue: Strangers find lost dog
- Tourist trips to the Moon by 2043?
- Stunning pic of Freeman is actually iPad painting
- Tech firms call on U.S. to reform spying activities
- Inside CERN's $10 billion collider
- NASA shares image of massive 'Hexagon'
- Amid Mandela tributes, fake quotes creep in
- Someone bought a $100,000 Tesla with Bitcoins
- Ryan Seacrest wants to pimp your iPhone