"There's a tendency (among law enforcement) to overreact to new technology. But the legal issues are the same," he said. "I can understand why law enforcement would be upset about the spread of false information. But that doesn't make it criminal."
When is social-media use a crime?
After massacre, some posted fake information on social media
POSTED: 10:57 AM MST Dec 18, 2012 UPDATED: 11:24 AM MST Dec 18, 2012
Copyright 2012 by CNN NewSource. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Creator tells us how to pronounce 'GIF'
- Robot exoskeleton suits to make us superhuman
- Insanely durable smartphone ... from Caterpillar?
- Apple grilled about tax havens
- New Xbox and PS4, meet 'Call of Duty: Ghosts'
- Microsoft unveils new Xbox One game console
- McCain: 'Why the hell' do iPhone apps need updating?
- Galaxy S4 is Consumer Reports' top smartphone
- Yahoo rolls out update to make Flickr 'awesome again'
- Yahoo buys Tumblr, promises to not 'screw it up'