"There's a tendency (among law enforcement) to overreact to new technology. But the legal issues are the same," he said. "I can understand why law enforcement would be upset about the spread of false information. But that doesn't make it criminal."
When is social-media use a crime?
After massacre, some posted fake information on social media
POSTED: 10:57 AM MST Dec 18, 2012 UPDATED: 11:24 AM MST Dec 18, 2012
Copyright 2012 by CNN NewSource. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- 2M Facebook, Gmail, Twitter passwords stolen
- Snapchat ads closer to reality
- Cyber Monday sales surge 20% to record high
- PlayStation 4 sales top 2 million
- Amazon's drone delivery: How would it work?
- Company fines couple for negative review
- Amazon drones? Time for a reality check
- Glasses for Noah: Mom's Facebook plea goes viral
- Justices deny petitions over online sales tax
- Brace yourself: Cyber Monday is here