The Dallas Cowboys have released wide receiver Dez Bryant, team owner and general manager Jerry Jones said Friday.
"As an organization, we hold Dez Bryant in the highest regard, and we are grateful for his passion, spirit and contributions to this team for the past eight years," Jones said in a statement. "He will always be a valued member of our family."
ESPN's Adam Schefter and Todd Archer first reported Friday morning that the team was expected to cut their longtime wide receiver.
Ian Rapoport of NFL.com and the NFL Network later confirmed that Bryant had been released, citing a source informed of the situation.
Bryant himself later more or less confirmed the news with a tweet stating "let's start the process."
The wide receiver, who has played for the Cowboys since entering the league in 2010, met with Jones and other team officials Friday morning at the team's Frisco, Texas, headquarters. ESPN reported that Bryant was not offered a pay cut.
The 29-year-old was due $12.5 million with a $16.5 million cap hit for the 2018 season. The Cowboys will save $8 million against the cap this season by cutting him.
He totaled 838 yards on 69 receptions with six touchdowns last season and has 7,459 career receiving yards to go with 73 career touchdowns.