COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Fort Carson says one of the post's soldiers died in a non-combat related incident Tuesday in Afghanistan.
Staff Sgt. Diobanjo S. Sanagustin of National City, California, was deployed with the 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division. Details of his death weren't released, but the post says the incident is under investigation.
Sanagustin, 32, first entered the Army in 2007 and was deployed three times during his 11-year career. He was stationed at Fort Carson on Jan. 25.
"Staff Sgt. Diobanjo Sanagustin served as a Squad Leader in Bravo Company, 4th Battalion, 9th Infantry Regiment during Operation Freedom's Sentinel," Lt. Col. David Uthlaut, 4th Battalion, 9th Infantry Regiment commander said in a statement Wednesday. "He made a lasting impact on the Manchu formation and we will forever cherish his memory. Our deepest condolences are with the Sanagustin family."
Sanagustin was awarded the following medals:
- Army Commendation Medal (2)
- Army Achievement Medal (7)
- Army Good Conduct Medal (4)
- Iraq Campaign Medal with Campaign Star (2)
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Armed Forces Service Medal
- Noncommissioned Officer Professional Development Ribbon (2)
- Army Service Ribbon
- Overseas Service Ribbon (2)
- Expert Infantryman’s Badge